Landstar pays a percentage of the load revenue for each load you haul plus 100% of the fuel surcharge. Owner operator pay will vary depending on whether you haul with your own trailer or lease a trailer from Landstar. Below is an example of how to calculate load revenue with a company trailer.
- Company Van Trailer (65% of 100%) no weekly trailer rental fee
- Company Flatbed / Stepdeck (73% of 100%) with weekly trailer rental fee
- Company Stretch / Double Drop Trailer (74% of 100%) with weekly trailer rental fee
- Trailer Rental Fees: Flatbed ($170 / Week), Stepdeck ($185 / Week), Extendible ($200 / Week), *Double Drop ($260 / Week) * There is usually a waiting list for stretch and double drop trailers.
- Own Van Trailer (72% of 100%)
- Own Flatbed or Stepdeck Trailer (73% of 100%)
- Own Refrigerated Trailer (75% of 100%)
- Own Specialized Trailer including double drop, tri-axle, insulated van with heater (74% of 100%)
- Own Heavy Haul Trailer (4 or more axles) Trailer (75% of 100%)
- Escrow – A $500.00 escrow is required. Deducted at $33.33 per week for 15 weeks.
- Plates * – Illinois annual base plate $1650. Deducted at $91.67 per week for 18 weeks.
- Permits* – Annual permit cost $200. Deducted at $11.11 per week for 18 weeks.
- Seal & Lock Program
- Vans – “Warlok” or “Enforcer” lock kit. Includes locks for trailer, kingpin and air cuffs.
- Cost – $125.00 deducted from settlements $25.00 per week for 5 weeks.
- Platform – Air cuff lock required. “Enforcer” $35.00 “War-Lock” $45.00
- Communications ** – Landstar Communication Network Cost – $3.69 per week.
- Electronic On-Board Recorder – All new hires will be required to have an E.O.B.R. (Electronic On-Board Responder) in their truck. The basic unit costs $200 and is deducted over a weekly time frame from settlements. Monthly cost to driver is only $27.22 per month (air time fee).
* Deductions for plate and permits do not start until the 5th week.
** A cell phone is required as a minimum communications device.