In the United States, any freight that is over the typical dimensional or overweight, this is considered over-sized or overweight.
The specifications of heavy haul depend on the state. Typically, any freight that is over the typical flatbed’s trailer width of 102 inches is required as heavy hauling and would require a permit.
Freight that classifies as heavy haul includes:
- Heavy equipment including – front loaders, cranes, and backhoes
- Pre-built homes
- Shipping containers
- Building equipment including – generators, windmill propellers, and bridge beams
- Industrial equipment
The heavy haul restrictions are dependent on the type of axle you are using.
Width: 8.5 feet
Height: 13.6 feet
Length: 48 – 53 feet
Gross Weight: 80,000 lbs.
Steer Axles: Cannot haul more than 12,000 pounds
Single Axles: Cannot haul more than 20,000 pounds
Drive Axles: Cannot haul more than 34,000 pounds
Tandem Axles: Cannot haul more than 34,000 pounds
If your freight is more than the above weight restrictions, you may be required to use additional equipment.
With Landstar, you can haul freight throughout the United States, Canada, and Mexico.
When you lease with Landstar, you are free to haul over-sized, specialized, overweight, and commodities freight.
You must be 23 years of age to lease on with Landstar.
Landstar is a 100% non-forced dispatch trucking company. You are in control of when you are home or out on the road. The decision is entirely up to you.
Landstar offers all BCOs a percentage pay from the freight they haul. When our rates increase, so will your compensation. Landstar gives back 100% of all fuel surcharges and offers owner-operators the Landstar Contractors’ Advantage Purchasing Program (LCAPP).
The LCAPP is a cost-saving program available to Landstar Business Capacity Owners from the first day of leasing with Landstar. This helps lower your operating costs.
When leasing with Landstar as an owner-operator, you are required to have your own truck. However, at the time of the application process, if you do not have a truck, you have up to 30 days to obtain one.
Landstar offers insurance, upkeep and maintenance for all trailers. However, if you are an owner-operator that chooses to lease a company flatbed or stepdeck, you will be charged a weekly trailer rental fee.
- Company Flatbed/Step deck: 73% Line Haul with weekly trailer rental fee
- Company Stretch/Double Drop Trailer: 74% Line Haul with weekly trailer rental fee
- Trailer Rental Fees:
- Flatbed: $170/Weekly
- Step deck: $185/Weekly
- Extendable: $200/Weekly
- Double Drop: $260/Weekly
* Note: Typically, there are waiting lists for stretch and double drop trailers.
- Own Flatbed or Step deck: 73% Line Haul
- Own Refrigerated Trailer: 75% Line Haul
- Own Specialized Trailer: this includes double drop, a tri-axle, insulated van with heater 74% Line Haul
- Own Heavy Haul Trailer (4 or more axles): 75% Line Haul
- Flatbed Stretch
- Step Deck
- Step Deck Stretch
- Double Drop
- Double Drop Stretch
- Flatbed 6-Axle
- Flatbed 6-Axle Stretch
- Step deck 6-Axle Stretch
- Double Drop 6-Axle
- Double Drop 6-Axle Stretch
- Step deck 7-Axle
- Step deck 7-Axle Stretch
- Double Drop 7-Axle
- Double Drop 7-Axle Stretch
- Double Drop 8-Axle
- Double Drop 8-Axle Stretch
- Specialized 9-Axle
- 23 years old
- Class A CDL with Hazmat and Combination
- 1-year experience of driving over-the-road in the last 3 years, or 3 years of experience in the last 10 years. Of those 10 years, 6 months must be within the last 48 months while having a Class A CDL using the same equipment you are using to lease with Landstar.
- Less than 3 moving violations in 3 years.
- No more than 1 excessive speeding violations in the last 5 years.
- No DOT accidents in the last 2 years.
- No felony charges in the last 7 years.
- No careless driving, reckless driving, or suspended license for over 30 years in the last 3 years.
- Must speak English and can converse with the public.
- Read and understand traffic signs and properly fill out entries and reports.
- No positive alcohol or drug tests from other employers to trucking companies.
Didn’t find what you’re looking for?
Search our knowledge base for answers to
General Landstar Questions, Startup costs, Landstar Application Process, etc.
Start your career today
As Landstar Owner Operator with the one-on-one support from our agency and Landstar, you’ll be on your way to running a profitable business.