Dry Van services are in high demand at Landstar. A dry van is a semi-truck that is completely covered that can hold loose freight, pallets or boxes. Dry Van does not carry temperature-controlled freight or oversized loads. With Dry Van, you can haul both Truckload and Less-than-Truckload shipments.
There are three standard Dry Vans
53-Foot Trailers – the most common dry van – dimensions of the trailer are 53’ L x 8’6” W x 8’6” H. This type of trailer can haul up to 45,000 pounds and up to 25 typical pallets across the floor of the trailer.
28-Foot Trailers – also knowns as “Pup” trailers and are often used for LTL loads. Dimensions of this trailer are 28’ L x 8’ W x 9’ H and can haul up to 22,500 pounds and hold 14 typical pallets across the trailer floor.
Straight Trucks – also known as Box Trucks are often used for city deliveries. There is no set dimension for straight trucks as they come in all different sizes. However, the most common size is 24’ L x 8’ W x 6” H.
The actual weight a full truckload can haul will depend on the type of truck. Some trucks can haul between 22,000 and 44,000 pounds. Most Dry Vans can haul up to 45,000.
Thinking about leasing with Landstar – below are some of the Dry Van benefits
- Pick your own loads from thousands of loads on Landstar’s Load Board
- 65% Line Haul
- 100% Fuel Surcharge
- Weekly Settlements
- Receive Discounts for Tires and Fuel
- Cargo Insurance
- Trailer Rental
If you lease a trailer from Landstar, you can receive 65%-line haul. However, if you own your own trailer, you can receive 72%-line haul.
Also, Landstar offers all BCOs a percentage pay from the freight they haul. When our rates increase, so will your compensation. Landstar gives back 100% of all fuel surcharges and offers owner-operators the Landstar Contractors’ Advantage Purchasing Program (LCAPP). The LCAPP is a cost-saving program available to Landstar Business Capacity Owners from the first day of leasing with Landstar. This helps lower your operating costs.
We have loads going out to the entire United States, Canada, and Mexico.
The number of miles you drive is up to you. Landstar is 100% Non-Forced Dispatch. If you want to stay out for a week, you can. If you want to be home for a week, you can do that too. Landstar allows you to be in control of your own trucking business.
23 years or older
- Class A CDL with Combination (X) or HazMat (H) endorsements
- 1 experience of over-the-road driving in the past 3 years – or 3 years of verifiable experience in the last 10 years. 6 of those 10 years must be within the previous 48 months with a Class A CDL using similar equipment that you will be using at Landstar.
- No more than 3 moving violations in the last 3 years
- No more than 1 excessive speeding (15+) in the previous 3 years.
- No at fault DOT accidents over the past 12 months.
- Do DUI or DWI charges in the past 5 years
- No felony convictions in the last 7 years
- No reckless driving, careless driving, and no drivers license suspension over 30 days in the last 3 years.
- Must be able to speak fluent English to conversate with the public, understand traffic signs and signals, and fill out reports.
- No past positive drug and/or alcohol tests from other employers or lease carriers
Start your career today
As Landstar Owner Operator.With the one-on-one support from our agency and Landstar, you’ll be on your way to running a profitable business.